Thursday, October 15, 2009

Peace Love Agave

Welcome to Peace Love Agave!

This blog blossomed out of my previous baking blog, The Sweet Beat (which, fortunately, I was able to import into this blog, so all of the old recipes are available here as well), where I explored the vast landscape of baking through experimenting in the kitchen, tasting my way around a couple of different cities, and researching all I could find from cookbooks, websites, blogs, and even culinary school textbooks. The one thing I lacked, however, was a focus. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but since the start, I had been hoping to find one avenue of baking to which I was particularly attracted, one that called out to me like no other. I should have known that all I needed to do was to be patient, keep an open mind, and try absolutely everything.

As my previous post states, the variety of baking that has taken over my life and my kitchen is wholesome baking: this includes the use of alternative grains like Amaranth flour and Teff flour, reductions in butter and oils, and alternative sweeteners like brown rice syrup and agave nectar. Check SpellingAgave nectar has become such an important facet to my baking, and to alternative sweetening in general, that I thought it merited a place in my blog title. That, along with peace and love: baking brings me peace, and I put so much love into my baking.

I'm thrilled to be starting a new culinary chapter in such an amazing place: Friday Harbor in San Juan Island. Many people here are attracted to local and healthful food, so when I bring out my gluten-free or high-fiber cookies, I know that the audience for that kind of baking is definitely present. But the point of me writing them down and talking a little about the recipes is to get them out of my own little kitchen, off of the island, and into everyone else's homes as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment