Monday, October 26, 2009

Rolled-Out Oat Cutouts

Every year, around Christmas-time, I wonder whether or not I should bake rolled-out sugar cookies. On one hand, I love the countless styles of cookie cutters and the possibility of frosting and decoration artistry. On the other hand, I don't very much like the taste of sugar cookies. Given that, it should not be a question whether or not I ought to make these cookies, but also given that one of my favorite stores in Seattle is basically a boutique of cookie cutters, I usually find myself in a very difficult position. Until now! I found this recipe for roll-out, cut-out cookies, which feeds into my love of cookie cutters, and they do not fall into the typical sugar cookie category. Their texture is much heartier, thanks to the whole wheat flour and the rolled oats, but for those who truly love sugar cookies, the buttery taste is still there. However, these are not overly sweet, and they don't really lend themselves to sugary frostings, either. I decorated mine with a simple brushing of beaten egg and a sprinkling of raw sugar, for a hint of sparkle. I do think, though, that some sort of icing would be in order for these cookies, and I'll have to experiment with that next time, especially as I begin to make these for friends for the holidays.


Rolled-Out Oat Cutouts

Ingredients:
¾ cup unsalted butter
¾ cup evaporated cane juice
1 Tbsp. low-fat milk
1 egg
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
2 ½ cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking powder
¾ tsp. salt
1 cup rolled oats

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350ยบ F. Line two baking sheets with parchment.
2. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and evaporated cane juice together until light and fluffy.
3. Beat in the egg and vanilla extract. Add the flour, baking powder, salt, and oats to the bowl and stir until well-combined.
4. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface and roll to a 1/8-inch thickness. Use cookie cutters to cut into shapes. Transfer the cookies to the baking sheets.
5. Bake for 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks.

No comments:

Post a Comment