Monday, January 25, 2010

Bob's 10-Grain Muffins

There is a substantial amount of evidence that states that sitting down to a meal, focusing on the food, and experiencing every bite helps to promote digestion, gratitude, and a general state of well-being. Eating mindfully is important, and it is an activity that I thoroughly endorse. However, I don’t pretend that I mindfully consume every bite of every meal and every snack. Breakfast, especially, is a meal that I tend to multitask through, whether I’m getting a head start on a day of schoolwork, checking my email, or cleaning up my kitchen. Now I know this isn’t healthy on a number of levels, but sometimes, it’s downright essential. I also know that this sort of eating is essential for most people most of the time; why else the proliferation of drive-thrus and meals-in-a-bar?

One of my favorite quick, multitasking-compatible breakfast meals are muffins. They require only one hand and no utensils to eat and are highly portable. They also are highly delicious, and at times, highly unhealthy. I was pleased to find this recipe from Bob’s Red Mill for 10-Grain Muffins. The 10-Grain cereal contains hard red wheat, rye, triticale, oat bran, oats, corn, barley, soy beans, brown rice, millet, and flaxseed: a grand mixture of nutrition and hearty taste. The cereal contributes to a substantial baked good, and the butter is important because it adds to the flavor and texture of the muffins. Substitutions would be fine, but I wouldn’t recommend it for this particular recipe.

I enjoyed two for breakfast, and was satisfied for hours. My friend ate the rest of the batch (8 muffins) over the course of two days, so I’m confident in saying that these muffins are real keepers.


10-Grain Muffins

Yield: 1 dozen muffins

Ingredients:
1 large egg
½ cup evaporated cane juice
1/3 cup butter
1 cup unbleached white flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup 10-Grain cereal (uncooked)
1 ¼ cup low-fat buttermilk

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.

2. Mix 10 Grain Cereal and buttermilk and allow to stand for 10 minutes.

3. In another bowl, cream together the evaporated cane juice, butter, and egg together.

4. Add dry ingredients and buttermilk mixture. Stir only until mixed.

5. Spoon into greased muffin pan. Bake for 14-15 minutes, until tops are springy.

2 comments: