Friday, January 8, 2010

Oat Brownies

Oats and oat flour are two of my favorite baking ingredients, thanks to their taste and their nutritional qualities, so I try to get creative in how I can incorporate one or the other into my baking. I'll put quick-cooking oats in my chocolate chip cookies, rolled oats in my quick breads, and varying amounts of oat flour in just about anything.

Oats are high in fiber, and thusly they are said to lower cholesterol levels while reducing the risk of heart disease. Oats come in many forms, and there are many ways to use them in the kitchen. There are oat groats, which are un-flattened oat kernels; steel-cut oats, dense and chewy; old-fashioned oats, which are steamed and rolled; quick-cooking oats which are cut more finely than old-fashioned; oat bran, the outer layer of the grain under the oat hull; and oat flour. I love them all, but I'm especially partial to the old-fashioned oats: traditional and the perfect breakfast grain.

Another favorite of mine is, of course, chocolate. So, when I came across a brownie with an oat bottom, I wanted to re-create them in my own kitchen. These brownies turned out to be a dream: I was able to convince myself that since they have oats in them, I can most definitely eat one for breakfast, and while there may have been better choices available, I don't regret the chocolate-y treat I started my day with. They turned out a bit salty, given the salt in both the base and the brownie portions, but that is not necessarily a negative. The brownies were fudgey, and matched with a chewy oat base, they were a delicious and slightly addictive dessert that I will try to eat after the lunch hour, the next time I make them.


Oat Brownies

Ingredients:

Base-

1/3 cup oat flour ¼ tsp. baking soda ¼ tsp. salt ½ cup brown sugar 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats 1/3 cup butter, melted

Brownies-

2/3 cup all purpose flour ¼ tsp. baking soda ¼ tsp. salt 1-oz unsweetened chocolate ¼ cup butter 2/3 cup sugar 1 large egg 2 Tbsp. milk 1 tsp. vanilla extract ½ cup chocolate chips

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350F. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, brown sugar and oatmeal. Pour in melted butter and stir to combine. Pour into ungreased 8-inch square baking pan. Bake for 12 minutes.

2. For the brownie batter, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt in a small bowl.

3. In another small bowl, melt unsweetened chocolate and butter together. Set aside to cool.

4. Whisk together sugar and egg until light colored. When butter mixture is no longer hot, stir it into the egg mixture. Stir in the flour mixture, milk and vanilla extract, followed by the mini chocolate chips.

5. When oat base comes out of the oven, pour brownie batter on top and spread.

6. Bake for 30 minutes. Cool on a wire rack before slicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment