Sunday, January 3, 2010

No-Bake Chocolate Oat Cookies

Happy New Year!

There are times when I would love a homemade cookie, but I don't have a good window of time in my day to actually do any baking. And after the holiday baking-and-cooking extravaganza that I've enjoyed over the past few weeks, I'm not in the mood to try anything too different or heavy duty just yet. It would be easy and delicious for me to go to a bakery and enjoy one of their chocolate chip or peanut butter cookies (and believe me, I do), but I try not to make this a daily practice. This is a very simple recipe with a list of ingredients that are most likely already in the kitchen, and it takes only minutes to put it together. And while I wait for the entire batch to harden in the refrigerator, the warm mush of peanut butter, oats, and chocolate is just as good to eat out of the saucepan. The final cookie is a delightful meshing of each of the flavors, most strongly peanut butter and chocolate, so it's a little like a cookie version of a peanut butter cup, with an added crunchy texture, thanks to the oats.

No-Bake Chocolate Cookies

Yield: About 1 dozen

Ingredients:
¾ cup unsweetened applesauce
1/3 cup low-fat milk
¾ cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 Tbsp. unsweetened Dutch-processed cocoa powder
½ tsp. vanilla extract
¼ cup creamy peanut butter
1 ½ cup quick oats

Directions:
1. Line cookie sheets with wax paper.
2. Combine the applesauce, milk, brown sugar, and cocoa powder in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute.
3. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the vanilla and peanut butter with a wooden spoon. Stir in the oats and continue stirring until the mixture is blended.
4. Drop the dough onto the cookie sheets by heaping tablespoons. Refrigerate until the cookies are hardened.

No comments:

Post a Comment