Friday, March 26, 2010

Ginger Cookies with Brown Rice and Whole Wheat Flours

Ginger cookies are my mother’s favorite, but I’ve never really gotten on the bandwagon. Although I enjoy gingerbread around the holidays, ginger cookies don’t quite do it for me throughout the rest of the year. Regardless, I know plenty of people who respectfully disagree with my tastes, and so when I found a recipe for ginger cookies, I decided to play with it a bit, and make the cookies for my friends.

Of course I tried one, and even for someone who doesn’t love this type of cookie, these were very good: spicy and soft. I also liked the combination of brown rice flour and whole wheat flour, along with the strong (but not overpowering) molasses flavor. Sprinkled with a little bit of sugar before baking, I thought they gave off an attractive shine, and everyone who sampled them enjoyed the taste even more. For all of you ginger cookie-lovers, I would say that this recipe is a keeper.


Ginger Cookies

Yield: 2 dozen

Ingredients:
1/3 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup molasses
1 egg, beaten
1 cup brown rice flour
1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ground ginger

Directions:
1. Blend butter and molasses in a medium bowl until fluffy. Add egg and mix in thoroughly.
2. In a separate bowl, combine flours, baking soda, cinnamon, and ground ginger. Blend into butter mixture until just combined. Chill dough in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
3. Preheat oven to 375° F. Roll out dough into small, 2-inch circles and place on greased cookie pans.
4. Bake for 7-9 minutes, or until cookies are brown on the bottomed. Cool on wire racks.

No comments:

Post a Comment