Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Heavenly Chocolate Bars

I do try to maintain a consistent flow of healthy desserts for myself and my friends, but sometimes there’s a recipe that I find that is just too yummy sounding not to try. I found this recipe for a version of 7-layer bars, and I played around with it a bit to get these rich, fudgey, absolutely addictive chocolate bars. The reason I could not seem to get enough of these is simply that they are entirely constructed out of sugar. The little kid in me relished the sugar high, and once the first wave came, wanted more and more. Truthfully, there really is not much wholesome in these dessert bars, unless you add a healthy topping like dried fruit or nuts, and even then, it’s little more than decoration. So these aren’t a breakfast bar or a treat that the kids should have right after school, but there’s no getting around the fact these are simple to make and an absolute crowd pleaser (I actually did sample it out to other people besides myself).
For my toppings, I chose a variety that went together both flavorfully and aesthetically, like the dried cranberries and the coconut. I’d be interested to see what other toppings were added, and I’m sure they could be a very stunning dessert. These would be best cut into small bite-sized squares, and definitely after cooling for several hours. The entire mixture needs to sufficiently set, otherwise it is too gooey, and the flavors haven’t had a chance to blend. Even though they’re bites of sugary goodness, there is a wonderful creamy chocolate taste, thanks to the presence of the condensed milk.

I wouldn’t want to have these chocolate bars around all the time (as if they would even last long, anyway) but they’re a great portable dessert to travel to picnics or bake sales with, or to set out with other finger foods for a group to graze on.


Heavenly Chocolate Bars

Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup baking cocoa
1/2 cup cold butter or margarine
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips, divided
Toppings, such as walnuts, dried cranberries, and coconut

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar and cocoa
3. Cut in butter until crumbly. Set aside 1 cup for topping. Press remaining crumb mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking pan. Bake for 6-8 minutes or until set.
4. In a saucepan, combine condensed milk and 1 cup of chocolate chips; cook and stir over low heat until melted. Carefully spread over crust. Sprinkle the reserved crumb mixture over the chocolate, followed by the remaining chocolate chips, and any additional toppings.
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until top is set. Cool before cutting.

No comments:

Post a Comment