Sunday, March 14, 2010

Irish Brown Soda Bread for St. Patrick's Day

St. Patrick’s Day is right around the corner; for an Irish lass like myself, this is a day of celebration of heritage, family, lore, and traditions. When I made a trip to Ireland a couple of years ago, I immersed myself in the literature, the music, and the food. I studied hard and learned a lot, and while I patiently wait for the time I can return and explore the Emerald Isle a bit more, I continue my own personal education and commemoration of Irish history and culture.

When I was younger, I hated corned beef and cabbage, and it’s been awhile since I’ve had that signature meal. But now, being exposed to the full gamut of what Irish cuisine has to offer, I’ve opened up to much more that this one quintessential dish. Irish soda bread is an easy Irish favorite, and this brown bread recipe is a hearty yet healthy twist on the bread. Fresh out of the oven, or rested after awhile, this bread is simple to make and entirely versatile. The short list of ingredients are easy to come by, or are probably already in the kitchen, and as far as preparation, it would be a breeze to put this together in the evening, ready for the next morning. It can be a companion to a typical Irish breakfast, a side dish for a farmer's lunch, or a snack between meals.

I ate my first warm and satisfying slice with some Kerrygold butter, a delectably creamy Irish butter. If you want some other authentic pairings for the bread, consider smoked salmon or a slab of cheddar cheese – given their proximity to water and their endless pastures of green grass and grazing cows, the Irish do both of these foods exceedingly well. The best meal I had in Ireland consisted of little more than soda bread, cheeses, and a salad, but it was better tasting than some of the most gourmet meals I’ve eaten here.

Ireland will have to wait again for me, but at least I can eat as though I were still there. I’ll be having a couple of slices of the bread, along with some Irish cheese, for St. Patrick’s Day this year (while wearing green and reading Dubliners, of course.) This bread will also be a pleasant year-round reminder of what I hope to return to sometime soon.


Irish Brown Bread

Ingredients:
2 ½ cups whole wheat flour
½ cup unbleached white flour
½ cup instant rolled oats
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. flaxseed meal
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
2 cups buttermilk
1 egg, beaten

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 325° F.

2. Coat a loaf pan with cooking spray.

3. In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, oats, brown sugar, flaxseed meal, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.

4. In a small bowl, combine the buttermilk and egg. Add the buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredients and blend, careful to not over-mix.

5. Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 60-65 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment